- Goats are particular about what they consume, preferring to browse on the tips of woody shrubs and trees, as well as the occasional broad-leaved plant.
- Goats prefer to browse on vines, shrubbery, and weeds, more like deer than sheep, preferring them to grasses.
- Goats are extremely curious and intelligent.
- They are very coordinated and widely known for their ability to climb and hold their balance in the most precarious places.
- They do their exploring of new and unfamiliar things with upper lip and tongue.
- They are the only ruminant to be able to climb trees.
- Females goats are called ‘does’ and male goats are called ‘bucks.’ Young goats are called ‘kids.’
- Around the world, more people drink goat milk than cow milk. Goat milk is alkaline and cow milk is acid. Goat milk is lower in cholesterol and higher in calcium and vitamins.
- They were the first animal to be domesticated.
- The goat is among the cleanest of animals and is a much more selective feeder than cows, pigs, chickens and even dogs.
- Coffee was first discovered when goat herders noticed the goats acting very energetic after nibbling on the coffee beans.
Cloudy is a Nubian goat. She has long, floppy ears and a large nose. She is black with brown and white markings. The Star Wars Boys (Luke, Hans, Chewbaca and Obi) came to the zoo in June 2020. The boys are Nigerian Dwarf goats