- Legumes, shoots, leaves, cacti, and grass.
- Acorns, corn, and fruit.
- Extremely nervous and shy.
- Can run up to 36 miles per hour.
- Great swimmers.
- Can leap over 10 feet high and 30 feet long.
- “White-tailed” refers to the white underside of the deer’s tail which it displays and wags when it senses danger.
- Whitetail deer only wag their tails when they are startled.
- They are the smallest of the North American deer.
- They have perfectly healthy vision and hearing, but they rely mainly on their sense of smell for protection.
“The Golden Girls”, a set of twins and two sisters were born in 2008 and 2009 at the zoo. Breeding deer was once a part of the zoo, but it was deemed irresponsible and the practice was discontinued. The deer enjoy their large home in the front of the park that they share with the geese, cranes, and Walter.